A South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) or an endorsed equivalent for degree students. This endorsement is done through Universities South Africa. Students who are applying for a pre-degree or HC do not need to apply to USAF. If these students do not have a NSC, they will need to apply to SAQA for a certificate of equivalence that confirms that their school leaving certificate has a minimum NQF level 4 equivalent.
If you completed Grade 12 prior to 2008, please contact a Pearson Institute Higher Education Consultant for further information.
Minimum admission requirements for undergraduate degrees
You must have a minimum level four in four subjects from the designated list.
Once this minimum is met, points will be allocated for non-designated subjects.
If you passed Life Orientation, you will be allocated three points regardless of the pass percentage achieved.
Designated list of subjects for undergraduate degrees
The following NSC or international school-leaving certificate equivalent subjects are recognised in the Pearson Institute point’s calculation:
• Agricultural Sciences
• Business Studies
• Consumer Studies
• Dramatic Arts
• Engineering Graphics Design
• Information Technology
• Life Sciences
• Mathematical Literacy
• Physical Science
• Religion Studies
• Visual Arts
• Languages (one language at a higher education institution and two other recognised languages)
National Senior Certificate Vocational (V) entry requirements
• You must have a minimum of 50% in English, Life Orientation and Mathematics/Mathematical Literacy.
• You must have a minimum of 70% in four vocational subjects chosen from the NSC (V) level four subjects.
• The NSC (V) subjects must relate to the degree for which you intend enrolling