Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizen
- Good academic performance
- Graduates who want to complete a teaching degree or want to become teachers (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) and have already been accepted at an accredited public University.
- Applicants who want to make a career change and become teachers, show dedication and passion for a professional career in teaching, display interest in working with young people, are ready to face and handle difficult challenges and have personal integrity.
- Higher Education Institution employees, their spouse and their dependents/children are not eligible.
- Two of the priority area subjects must be included as a specialisation in the teaching qualification.
For 1st time entrants to university:
- Proof of admission to bachelor degree studies pass at matric/Grade 12 level.
- Minimum level 4 rating at matric level in the subject which the applicant will specialize to teach.
- A pass in Mathematics or Mathematical Literacy at Grade 12 level and a minimum level 4 pass in the Home Language, for students who intend to specialize in the Foundation Phase
- Average of at least 50% for students who have completed matric prior to 2008 when Mathematics was not compulsory
- At least level 4 pass in Mathematics, for students who wish to specialize in the teaching of Technology subjects, including CAT, and who do not have these subjects at matric level
For new applicants already at university:
- Passed all of the modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at the Higher Education Institution
- Minimum 55% average across all the modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at a Higher Education Institution
- Minimum 55% average in modules studied relevant to the priority area teaching specialization in the last/most recent year of study at university
For new applicants enrolling for PGCE:
- Successful completion of a recognized qualification to be admitted for a PGCE
- Must have majored in Psychology and an African Language for a PGCE in Foundation Phase Teaching
- Must have at least TWO recognized priority subjects at second year level
- Must have adequate modules in the recognized priority subjects
For existing bursary holders:
- Passed at least two-thirds or 66.6% of all the subject modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at the university
- Passed at least two-thirds or 66.6% of the priority subject area modules studied in the last/most recent year of study at the Higher Education Institution
- Passed the priority subject
- Must be proceeding to the next level/year of study
- Must achieve at least 50% average across all subject modules